Director, Business AffairsBusiness Development, New York
Eko is a media and technology company pioneering a new medium in which stories told in live action video are shaped by viewers as they unfold. We provide the leading technology platform for the creation and delivery of serial interactive video entertainment and partner with media companies, independent creators and top brands to create experiences for highly-engaged, digitally native audiences. Our serialized shows are distributed through HelloEko.com, affiliate partners, and social networks; available on desktop, mobile, connected TVs, and VR. Eko Studio, which includes our free authoring tools, is also home to a growing community of creators crafting their own interactive experiences with Eko's platform.
Our investors include Innovation Endeavors, Intel Capital, Marker, MGM, NEA, Samsung, Sequoia Capital, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Warner Music Group, and WPP. The company (and position) is based in New York with offices in Tel Aviv.
As the Business Affairs Director (contract), you will play a key role in shaping our relationships with our key content partners. You’ll oversee deal structure and negotiation with our producing partners and IP holders, keeping deal flow moving as quickly as a start-up should. We also need your help creating a tracking system for our deals as we ramp quickly over the next few months. You’ll work across Creative, Business Development and Administrative teams internally, and work with consulting and outside counsel, in addition to our partners. You will be hands-on in the production process to ensure that all contracts, finances, legal and business affairs align for each production. You'll combine your production experience, strong business acumen, and creativity to help us build the right infrastructure for our new medium.
- Content Deal Structure: Structure and negotiate entertainment agreements (including with filmmakers/writers/production companies, content funders, and content distributors (plus others to be determined!)) across digital media platforms. Use your extensive knowledge of traditional entertainment deals to help strategize our deal structures in order to incentivize talent and be competitive in the marketplace. Use your creativity to create new structures if the traditional ones don’t work for us.
- Client Relationships: Be willing (and excited!) to be the person to strike a new relationship with a potential partner, interfacing with the business team and not just the lawyers. Because what we’re doing is new, you will need to be comfortable with introducing the company and evangelizing why we’re going to succeed, and why we may do things differently.
- Deal Flow: Work cross-functionally to ensure that the myriad deals in process are moving forward as fast as they should for a nimble start-up, devising creative solutions when apparent blockers arise.
- Advisory role: Advise and counsel on a variety of complex business and legal matters, including responsibility for, or key involvement in, developing and implementing policies, practices and strategic initiatives across production and content partnerships. Provide legal advice on potential risks and issues and propose responsive solutions. Where necessary, know what additional consultants or staff are needed to keep things moving quickly.
- Organization: Implementing and refining contract-administration and document-management processes.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience with production partnerships at a film, tv, or media company.
- JD required, MBA a plus, but not necessary. Member of NY bar.
- You love to structure win-win relationships and close meaningful deals.
- Experience structuring deals for production companies, filmmakers, and writers - across film, tv, and digital platforms.
- Broad knowledge of deals with larger streaming networks, traditional tv/cable networks, digital SVODs/buyers, and newer nontraditional buyers.
- Knowledge of unions and associated policies.
- Experience bringing order to the chaos and pitching in outside of your domain.
- A+ communicator with the ability to advise on a wide range of business related legal issues in a clear and effective manner that is understandable by non-lawyer.
We are all artists. We strap a saddle on chaos, hit “unrealistic” goals, act passionately, help each other flourish, learn quickly, trust our guts, trust each other, speak our minds, believe in a creative approach to everything, and respectfully break and rewrite rules. We are reinventing storytelling forever. Isn’t it beautiful?
Applicants must be legally permitted to work in the US and paperwork will be verified prior to and as a condition to hire.
Interlude US Inc. (dba., Eko) is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran's status (including protected veterans, as may be required by federal law), sexual orientation, gender identity or any other category protected by law.